Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Jacquemontia pentanthos - skyblue clustervine

A long time back, i came across this creeper with its pretty blue flowers and wondered if it had anything to do with the slender dwarf morning glory - evolvulus alsinoides. My recent encounter with the dwarf morning glory at the adayar tree park lead me to explore this family of flowers and i think this creeper is the Jacquemontia pentanthos or the more pronouncable Skyblue Clustervine/ Pentantha. If you look closely, the leafs of this creeper are wider than the flowers and taper at the ends. Those of the dwarf morning glory are tinier, smaller in width than the flower and rather eggplant like in shape. Both belong to the morning glory family, Convolvulaceae, whcih explains their resemblance.
The skyblue cluservine is native to tropical america.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the link Arati! I'm glad I checked this out. Lovely...going up the arbour like that.

And thanks for stopping by...I'll be back!